Friday 5 October 2012

Speedo's

As usual, click any image to zoom in. 

No, not my budgie smugglers but the speedometer.


The speedo reads several MPH too fast. The upside is I won't get caught speeding but the downside is the odometer is advancing too quickly.


I've managed to get the speedometer bezel off and I have removed the internal mechanism.


I have repainted the red pointer. The brass adjusting screw was locked in place by the metal surrounding it having been "punched" to prevent movement. I have gleaned that by adjusting the screw the metal plate next to the rotating magnet moves either nearer or away from the magnet. If the plate is nearer to the magnet the speed shows faster than actual and the opposite applies.



I will drill a hole in the rear of the case to allow adjustment of the screw without having to remove the mechanism every time it needs tweaking.


I'll use the speed radar near my house to calibrate the speedo, as well as getting someone in a car to double-check the accuracy.





No comments:

Post a Comment