Saturday 13 April 2013

Torque settings

Mark saw something yesterday on a web site along the lines of "When you replace the cylinder head, it is necessary to tighten the bolts to a predetermined torque. For the C15 it is 28 ft/lbs"  which I am sure is very true. In fact, how could it be more than merely true? But I digress.

You can read yourself silly worrying, but I can remember in my day, when the world was in black and white, nobody used a torque wrench.  They probably never heard of one and certainly couldn't spell it.  

If you under-tightened the bolts the engine leaked and as long as you weren't a total moron you didn't over-tighten the bolts and strip the threads.  Everybody's bike worked... Simples.

Having said that, I know someone who claims he rode his bike with a loose dizzy and noticed his exhaust pipe actually glowing one Winter's night and ended up blowing more big-ends than he cares to remember...

No comments:

Post a Comment