Saturday 11 May 2013

Clutch slipping when trying to kickstart

My recently rebored C15 with new clutch plates is still being a complete pain to start from cold.

You get it to the point of compression on the kickstart, take it just past, then go for it and on one kick out of eight it will turn over but the rest of the time the kickstart lever goes straight to the bottom without any sensation of it turning the engine over.

Mark came round today and offered to help push start it. He ran up the road once and nearly got it going so I offered to take over the handlebars duty so that he could concentrate on pushing.

"That's it Mark, head down, keep pushing, we're nearly there!", I shouted encouragingly.

"Blimey, Dad, this bike is a pig to push and sounds like the engine is turning over too!", he replied between gasps.

"Er, yes, son - it'll help - keep pushing!"

"Aargh, my lungs, my legs, come on - start you pig!", he shouted, on the verge of losing his rag.

And then it fired up! Went round the block on it a couple of times to warm it up and then tried kickstarting it a few times. It had improved to maybe one kick in four that was gripping, so I'm not sure if it that the engine had warmed up, reducing resistance which was allowing the clutch to grip or whether it was because the engine was lubricated by running it in gear. I'll take the primary chain-case off tomorrow and tighten up the clutch springs a turn to see if that helps.

I only told him after we'd put the bike away and had a brew that I'd been sitting side-saddle on the bike while he was pushing it. It'll do him good.


No comments:

Post a Comment