Sunday 23 September 2012

More news on the charging fault

As usual, click any image to zoom in.


The first picture shows bridge rectifier, which measures fine but the next two pictures reveal a non-existent earth before I scraped the paint away to reveal bare metal:



The fourth photo (on the left) shows a non-soldered connection on the lead leading off to the points contact.


The connector in this last picture on the right then goes into a snap connector, the other end of which had another lead (connecting into it and coming from the  ignition coil), hanging on by a single rusted strand of wire.  As soon as I touched the wire it just dropped out of the snap connector:


We were lucky that Mark was able to ride the bike as far as Antrobus on Thursday night to get to the BSA meet-up, never mind back home. Still - that'll be why I drove in my car and met him there instead. Just in case, you know, 'cos there was no way *I* was going to be the one stuck riding down the country lanes with only a side light to illuminate the carriageway. Ha - I burnt him off big time in my trusty Reliant Robin.

I will solder a length of 14mm wire to each earth point just to make sure.  I've tested the alternator stator for AC output with my AVO meter.  No problems there. When everything is connected I will measure the battery voltage when the engine is running  to make sure the charging circuit is functioning efficiently.

No comments:

Post a Comment